Privacy & Cookies
The Career Farm Limited company no. 08125802 trading as ‘The Career Farm’
("we") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. this policy and any other documents referred to on it sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is The Career Farm Limited (company no. 08125802).
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our web site www.thecareerfarm.com (our site). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to one of our services, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by The Career Farm Limited, and when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- Voting & Facebook profile information
Privacy and cookies
This statement covers the services provided by this website.
The purpose of this statement is to inform users of this website what information is collected about them when they visit this site, how this information is used, if it is disclosed and the ways in which we protect users’ privacy.
Confidentiality and security
Any information you provide will be held securely and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Your personal details will not normally be disclosed to third parties. In some circumstances however we may need to disclose your personal details to a third party so that they can provide a service you have requested, or fulfil a request for information.
You have a right to access the personal information we hold about you at any time. If you wish to do this, please put your request in writing (explaining that your interest is in this web site) to:
The Career Farm Limited
Harrogate Business Centre
Information we collect from visitors
If you sign up to receive email from this web site we will use the information you give us to provide the service(s) you have requested. We may occasionally contact subscribers to help us evaluate and improve the service that we offer.
If you inform us that you wish to cancel a subscription we will remove you from our mailing list and your details will be deleted from our records.
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information several times during one task
- recognising that you may already have given a username and password so you don’t need to do it for every web page requested
- measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and there’s enough capacity to ensure they are fast
You can manage these small files yourself and learn more about them through Internet browser cookies – what they are and how to manage them
For a list of all the cookies that we know are used by this website, please read our Cookies Audit page.
Cookies for improving service
Google Analytics sets cookies to help us accurately estimate the number of visitors to the website and volumes of usage. This is to ensure that the service is available when you want it.
Cookies are pieces of data created when you visit a site, and contain a unique, anonymous number. They are stored in the cookie directory of your hard drive, and do not expire at the end of your session. Cookies do not contain any personal information about you and cannot be used to identify an individual user. If you choose not to accept the cookie, this may affect your access to facilities available on our website.
Although your browser may be set up to allow the creation of cookies, you can specify that you be prompted before a site puts a cookie on your hard disk, so that you can decide whether to allow or disallow the cookie. Alternatively, you can set your computer not to accept any cookies.
This site uses Google Analytics code to gather statistical information. For more information on how Google Analytics processes this information, visit www.google.com/analytics.
Cookies on this website from other companies & social networking websites
During your visit to the site you may notice some cookies that are not related to this website. This happens when you visit a page with content embedded from a third party or use some of the links to social networking sites (e.g. Linkedin). These websites may place cookies on your computer.
This web site does not control how a third party uses their cookies. You should check these third party websites’ privacy policies for more information about their cookies if you are concerned about this.
Log files allow us to record visitors’ use of the site. This site's administrative team puts together log file information from all our visitors, which we use to make improvements to the layout of the site and to the information in it, based on the way that visitors move around it. Log files do not contain any personal information about you.
If you receive the HTML-formatted version of a newsletter, your opening of the newsletter email is notified to us and saved. Your clicks on links in the newsletter are also saved. These and the open statistics are used in aggregate form to give us an indication of the popularity of the content and to help us make decisions about future content and formatting.
Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Athough we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Payment and Fulfilment
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users (for example, we may inform them that 500 men aged under 30 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day). We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target (for example, women in the UK). We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 736 of the UK Companies Act 1985.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If that third party has purchased access to a product or service on your behalf, in which case we may disclose details of your usage of the product/service to that third party.
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If The Career Farm Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
Deletion of your data
As part of using online products or services purchased from The Career Farm Limited you may choose to store personal data with us. On the expiry of your subscription to any product or service, your personal data associated with that product or service will be stored securely for a further 6 months from the point of your subscription expiry. Once this 6 month period has elapsed, any of your personal data associated with the expired subscription will be deleted automatically. If you would like your personal data to be deleted in advance of this automatic deletion date, please request this via the contact details above and below, and we will arrange to meet your request.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at [email protected].
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.