More examples of competency based questions
Here are some more examples of competency based questions for you to practice. Don't forget the STAR structure (Situation, Task, Action, Result) as a framework for your answer.
- Describe a situation where you have felt under pressure. How did you handle that pressure?
- What type of situations outside work lead you to feeling out of control? What are your coping strategies?
- How have you helped to lead a team through uncertainty or ambiguity to achieve an appropriate outcome?
- Describe a situation when you have had to respond to major change. How did you cope?
- Provide an example of how you successfully identified and quoted measurable benefits to persuade a client or win a sale?
- Give an example of your ability to recognize the needs of a client and how you would be able to meet those needs?
- Give an example of a time when you spotted business opportunities or ways to significantly increase profit potential in a way that hadn’t been spotted by others. Describe the process you went through. What was the outcome?
- Specifically how do you adapt your style or approach to suit a cross-cultural audience?
- Describe the most diverse environment you have worked in or experienced.
- What were the challenges you faced in that environment and how did you handle them?
Creativity and Innovation
- Are you viewed as creative? What evidence do you have of this?
- Describe the most ingenious or creative solution you have delivered?
- Do you encourage others to generate ideas? How?
Organising for results
- Are you viewed as someone who can juggle your time and prioritise effectively? Give examples.
- What is the most complex project you have ever managed? Was it seen to be successful from an organisational perspective?
- What situations cause you stress? What causes the stress and how is it exhibited?
Focus on Client Success
- Describe a recent situation where you feel you have done more than was expected of you in order to meet the needs of your client.
- Describe a client who would cite your personal contribution as making a significant difference to the success of their business.
- Describe a situation where a client has not been happy with what you have delivered. How did you resolve this?
- Which client relationship would you describe as your most successful? Why? How did you achieve this?
- How have you helped to sustain morale within a team?
- Have you ever switched from the role of leader to follower in certain situations? Explain.
- When have you translated strategic priorities into operational goals?
- Do you set an example for others to follow? How?
- How do you make people feel empowered and respected?